2372 St Claude Ave
New Orleans, LA 70117
We are again the official bookseller for the New Orleans Poetry Festival! The Fest began in 2016 as the brainchild of Megan Burns of Trembling Pillow Press and Bill Lavender of Lavender Ink/ Diálogos. The mission of the New Orleans Poetry Festival and Small Press Fair is to create a space for an inclusive and diverse group of writers to collaborate, share and influence each other while also being immersed in the distinct literary culture of New Orleans.
The Festival is highly participatory with events ranging from workshops where you will be generating writing to open mics where you can share your work to getting out on the dance floor to listen and dance to our poets with bands.
Some of the main features for 2018 include:
- The award winning Baton Rouge Slam Team
- Louisiana Poet Laureate Jack Bedell
- Performance poet, SPD handpicked selection, Whiting Writers Award winner and Notable New American Poet from the Poetry Society of America, Douglas Kearney. Read more about Douglas on his web site, at the Poetry Foundation, and all over.
- New Orleans expat Tonya Foster returns to the city from her current professorship at California College of the Arts after winning a long list of awards. You can hear her perform at PennSound, and read about her at the Poetry Foundation, and all over.
- And NOLA icon Carolyn Hembree. Read about her at Poets and Writers, on her website, and all over.